Pages

Monday, May 23, 2011

The Jewlery Box

This is the 5th jewelry box I have made. Over the years, I have added and changed features to perfect the design. This particular design is made of eastern maple with a black walnut inset as well as dovetail joints on the corners, the inside has an inset tray with blue felt flocking as well an oval mirror. Brass was used for the feet, the hinges, as well as a purchased lock and key.


This model of jewelry box was made for my fiancee at the time who is now my wife (Yes people, my wood craft skills are that good). Above you can see the black walnut inlay.

Above is a picture of the bottom of the jewelry box. The writing was done with a router that was set at 1/8th inch depth then filled with fiberglass. if you look closely, you can see the date 08 /06 / 26 the date I proposed.

One of the benefits of this project is that it becomes as complex and challenging as you want it to be. In its basic form, the box can be built in 10 hours and cost $5 to build. My total time on this project was 45 hours and cost was upwards of $100.

No comments:

Post a Comment